If your dinoflagellates (dinos) aren't as bright as they once were, here are some first aid tips to follow:
- Bioluminescence is a good indicator of health. If your dinos appear dimmer at night and are not producing the light they once were – DO NOT FEED. Stop all feedings and put your dinos in a low light location (8-14 hrs/day).
- Make sure the location allows for steady and consistent day/night cycles. If possible, use a light timer to control the duration of light during the day. Leave your dinos in this location for several days without moving.
- You may also open the belly cap or remove the plug briefly once a day to allow for better air exchange. Doing so for a few minutes will help equilibrate the dinos' environment.
- After 3- 4 days, check for bioluminescence. Once your dinos begin lighting up again, you may continue feeding regularly.
Dino First Aid Summary
- Stop feeding
- Move to a low-light location (day cycle)
- Ensure consistent day/night cycles (do not move)
- Open belly cap or plug daily